Saturday, July 9, 2011

Because

Because I'm weird. Because I love puppy chow. Because I felt the need to have a photoshoot and didn't know what to shoot. Because I read too much Pioneer Woman Blogs. Because I haven't really tried doing food photography. Because I love puppy chow. Because I'm insane in the head to do this when we don't really have a kitchen. Because I'm even more insane in the head to do this under the influence of latex. Because I needed a new blog. Because there is a thousand other things I should be doing but am avoiding. Because I love photography. Because my Aunt thought I was literally eating dog food when I said I love puppy chow. Because I'm crazy.


But ultimately it comes down to this- because I love puppy chow and photography.


So here it is. My own attempt at a food blog.

I would normally start with the putting on of an apron on but ummmm well...... they're somewhere.... else right now so bring on the mess!!!

Thank goodness I know where to find the chex mix, peanut butter, and chocolate chips..... now where did I put the powered sugar and vanilla??? And where in the world is my glass bowl- created specifically for puppy chow??? Okay, so it's not created specifically for puppy chow... but it's awesome!


First rule of thumb in making puppy chow: ALWAYS, always, always double the batch. Don't start it if you can't make 2 batches. It's not worth it. You just get into the groove of chowing when you discover that the bowl is empty. And then you cry. And blame your mother for not getting enough chex. And feel awful that you did that. Then apologize. Then cry again as you rock and lick out the bowl.


And by doubling the batch, maybe, just maybe you will feel like you might have enough to share with your family and friends. But probably not.


Second thing you must do is invite your friend Aubrey over to help you cook. If you don't have a friend named Aubrey, you live a very sad, depressed life void of ADD-ness.



Thirdly, you make sure you actually have a recipe for Puppy Chow. If not, print it off the computer, realize that you're not connected to the printer after your computer's memory got wiped, write it on a JCPenney receipt and then discover that it's on the box the whole time. This takes approximately 10 minutes.

Measure out a heaping bowl of chex mix. I prefer the rice or corn chex. Wheat is too thick and takes away from the light fluffyness of the powder sugar. Besides, it would probably be too healthy anyways.



Combine chocolate chips,


peanut butter and butter in microwave safe dish.




(Do they even make un-microwavable dishes anymore??? Maybe fancy dishes.... but why in the world would you put chocolate and peanut butter in a fancy dish...and then stick it in the microwave???? Ignore me.)



After a minute in the microwave, add the vanilla. I once accidentally forgot the vanilla. The whole bowl just seemed off. Like it was missing it's best friend. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly. Like coffee without the creamer. Like Gilligan without the Skipper. Like Tiffany without her camera. Like a computer without internet connection. Like a person without a friend named Aubrey. Like Puppy Chow without vanilla. And it's really hard to add once you mix the chocolate with the cereal. I don't recommend that method. So don't forget the vanilla......



Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mix over the chex, making sure you refrain from licking your fingers..... yet.





Mix until evenly coated.
(And why did I think a messy dish like this would be good to photograph while I made it????)




Scoop into zip lock bags.



Pour in powder sugar. Don't follow a recipe for this. Just pour to your hearts content. I like mine with lots and lots of sugar....





Now comes the fun part....
1- Lick your fingers.
2- Lick the bowl.
3- Watch Aubrey lick the spoon.





Next- shake up the plastic bags.... good and hard. I find it pretty stress relieving.


Pour back into the cereal bowl- you can wash it out or just pour it all back in..... I'm for the easier version of not washing. It's just going to get dirty again with the same stuff....



And then the best part. Eat it down so you can close the lid. You must have a lid. How else will you be able to hide the puppy chow sufficiently???


And there you have it. My perfected method of puppy chow making.


Now please excuse me. I have..... a job..... I must complete.




Possessively hugging a bowl,



Ti-Ti

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of the puppy chow is when it clumps together...and you bite into this large chocolately-peanutbuttery mass. Oh.....I'm craving now.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! And a very good writer/photographer.
    PS. thanks for the recipe. I get it now.
    Ant Webbie

    ReplyDelete