Saturday, September 17, 2011

Breather from life

COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS
So I have a lot of free time on my hands right now. I'm still out looking for a job every day but there is only so much that you can do in a day, and so with the rest of my time, I've been baking yet some more.
This one is actually one that isn't your normal, every day recipe like puppy chow or no bake cookies.
I've never made cake by scratch or coffee cake by scratch either, so this was a new experience. They turned out pretty well, if I say so myself. Enjoy.
(don't judge...but these are from marthastewart.com)
Ingredients:
For the Muffins
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
For the Streusel Topping
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
(FYI- I doubled the recipe and it turned out just fine)

I started with the streusel topping. Maybe I like doing things backwards. Maybe that's the way the recipe told me to. Maybe that's just the way I roll.

Add brown sugarand floursalt
and cinnamon
First dice up the butter into cubes Then add it to your brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon mix I found it easier to get the texture I wanted if I mix this up with my hands..... They're clean... well, now they're not.... Put this in the fridge until read to use.
Then you mix the cake part.

Start with sour cream.... I've always wanted to try something made with sour cream or some other strange ingredient.Add yet more butter. I really tried to wipe out our supply of stick butter with doubling this recipe. Unfortunately, I failed and I had to make an Apple Crisp, too. (food blog coming soon) And even that didn't work.Add sugar.... Stir these together on medium speed. While it's mixing add vanilla and eggs (man, I wish I could crack an egg with one hand- sure would come in handy with taking pics while I cook. I tried to do it for this and ended up fishing out a few egg shells.... no worries, I got them all....)Then mix together the dry ingredients for the cake.

More flour baking powder


and baking soda
Slowly combine dry mixture with wet ingredients while on medium speed
Drop by spoonful into muffin pan, using only half of the batter. Fill about 1/3 or so full.Sprinkle half of struesel over the top.Put last of cake mix over the streusel.
Use the rest of the streusel over the top.Bake in a 350* oven for about 25 minutes. This depends on what kind of pan you use. As you can see I used a jumbo, regular and a mini pan. Each one was slightly different times. The mini used about 20 minutes and the regular was about 28 to 30 minutes. The jumbo pan took quite a while. Somewhere around 40 minutes I think. Test them by inserting a toothpick. If it's done, it will come out clean. I forgot about this method and took them out because they looked done and about 5 minutes latter remembered to test them and found them not done so I stuck them back in and back in and back in. (I'm a bit impatient) Don't be like me- it works better. (And yes, I have messy pans when I make muffins. Then you get to lick your fingers off when you clean it.)

And there you have it. Coffee Cake Muffins.
You try naming this blog something starting with a "B",

Ti-Ti

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're going all Pioneer Woman! Love it!! They look amazing and you made it look so easy! Thanks for sharing. Just wish you were closer so I could help you enjoy them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..."Baking Bliss" comes to mind for a title, but I wasn't sure if you just wanted the first word starting with a 'b'. Oh and I always use my fingers when mixing the butter/sugar mixture to make the streusel stuff. Waaay better texture than just cutting it in with a knife. Great job!

    ReplyDelete